Business and Civic Leaders Celebrate Worktree Awards

by | Jul 18, 2019 | News

100 employee volunteers from 60 MK companies attended Worktree charity’s annual Awards event hosted by MK College and Hewitsons LLP in Central Milton Keynes.  They represented 934 workers from 330 companies who have volunteered in Worktree’s one-hour ‘Career WorkOut’ sessions at 11 MK schools over the past year. 

The guests were welcomed by business, education and civic leaders.  MK Mayor, Cllr Sam Crooks, said:  “What you’re doing for Milton Keynes is fantastic.  The sooner we can talk to young people about the world of work, the better.”

In Career WorkOut, volunteers book online to visit a local school, sit in a circle with other volunteers and simply answer student questions about their personal experiences of work in a carousel of 6-minute conversations.  The Mayor presented the following awards:  Network Rail (large company category), 272 hours volunteered; Dentons solicitors (medium), 42 hours; Parks Trust (small), 22; and Richard Collins Concept (micro), 20 hours.

“It takes a village to raise a child,” said Tony Nelson, Headteacher of The Hazeley Academy, “and it takes a city to raise citizens.  Worktree’s Career WorkOut sessions help our school to do that.”

Ian Tett, Headteacher of Oakgrove School, said:  “For us preparing students for the world of work is so important that every student in every year group at our school has a one-hour Career WorkOut, interviewing 7-8 different guest employees every year.  Ofsted recently reported that our students make effective decisions about their study choices as a result.”

Lisa Hathway of construction company NHBC said:  “Career WorkOut is a great way for NHBC to talk to girls about opportunities in the construction industry.  I love doing these sessions.”

“There’s a big gap between education and the world of work,” said Peter Horrocks CBE, Chair of South East Midlands Local Enterprise Partnership.  “Worktree helps to bridge the gap.”

Julia Upton MBE, High Sheriff of Buckinghamshire, said:  “It’s important we find time to meet and inspire those excluded from school as well as those in mainstream schools.  I’ve enjoyed volunteering in Career WorkOut sessions at the pupil referral unit.”

Gary Lincoln of TXM Group, one of Worktree’s business sponsors, said:  “Unlike my experience at school, Worktree opens up avenues, giving students access to people who they possibly wouldn’t have had, who they can learn, gain support and guidance from.  At TXM everyone is encouraged to contribute and take part in the Worktree sessions, they thoroughly enjoy the process and I actually feel they get as much from it as the students.”

If you would like to volunteer for a one-hour Career WorkOut in your local school, sign up at www.worktree.org/events

100 employee volunteers from 60 MK companies attended Worktree charity’s annual Awards event hosted by MK College and Hewitsons LLP in Central Milton Keynes.  They represented 934 MK workers who have volunteered in Worktree’s one-hour ‘Career WorkOut’ sessions at 11 MK schools over the past year, simply answering student questions about their experiences of work in a carousel of 6-minute conversations.

They were welcomed by business, education and civic leaders.  MK Mayor, Cllr Sam Crooks, said:  “What you’re doing for Milton Keynes is fantastic.  The sooner we can talk to young people about the world of work, the better.”

“It takes a village to raise a child,” said Tony Nelson, Headteacher of The Hazeley Academy, “and it takes a city to raise citizens.  Worktree helps our school to do that.”

Ian Tett, Headteacher of Oakgrove School, said:  “For us preparing students for the world of work is so important that every student in every year group at our school has a one-hour Career WorkOut, interviewing 7-8 different guest employees every year.  Ofsted recently reported that our students make effective decisions about their study choices as a result.”

“There’s a big gap between education and the world of work,” said Peter Horrocks CBE, Chair of South East Midlands Local Enterprise Partnership.  “Worktree helps to bridge the gap.”

Julia Upton MBE, High Sheriff of Buckinghamshire, said:  “It’s important we find time to meet and inspire those excluded from school too.  I’ve enjoyed volunteering in Career WorkOut sessions at the pupil referral unit.”

Gary Lincoln of TXM Group, one of Worktree’s business sponsors, said:  “Unlike my experience at school, Worktree opens up avenues, giving students access to people who they possibly wouldn’t have had, who they can learn, gain support and guidance from.  At TXM everyone is encouraged to contribute and take part in the Worktree sessions, they thoroughly enjoy the process and I actually feel they get as much from it as the students.”

Latest News

Our Sponsors

University of Buckingham Logo Prominent Media Logo TXM Recruit Logo MK Business Partnership Logo MK Community Foundation Logo Dentons LogoLynx Networks Logo