Now I know people will listen to me – Hazeley student after Wellbeing WorkOut
On 23rd October, Worktree delivered a day of ‘Wellbeing WorkOut’ sessions for Year 9 students at The Hazeley Academy.
Eight groups of approximately 30 students participated in a one-hour carousel of peer conversations about wellbeing. Each conversation was preceded by a screen statistic on a related issue – sleep, social media, eating, exercise, loneliness, bullying, exams and kindness – presented in a gameshow-style quiz format. Students were then prompted to ask questions about that issue in their conversations. The aim was to share ideas on managing wellbeing and to develop ways supportive peer relationships in the process.
“The sessions were excellent and really brought something special to the day with our year 10 students!,” said Lesley McKenzie, Mental Health Lead at The Hazeley.
In a short student questionnaire immediately after the event, students gave the following scores:
- 5.1 out of 10 for ‘The session helped me a lot’
- 4.7 out of 10 for ‘I now feel less anxious’
- 5.3 out of 10 for ‘I now feel more positive about my life’.
Some of the student’s written comments:
- I got to talk to different people about things that I don’t usually talk about
- I learned you may have more in common with others than you think
- I learned I’m not afraid and my lifestyle is actually like other people’s, meaning I’m doing the right thing and making the right decisions
- I felt uncomfortable. I hated it
- I know that I don’t have to be scared of not being active any more
- Now I know people will listen to me
- I can be more social
- I learned how kind and interested people are
- I liked I got to get out of my comfort zone
- I learned that people aren’t that scary
- I liked that activities we did and the way you made it so we talked to everyone.
Some of the actions students set for themselves (on the Student Card at the end of the session):
- Get more sleep. Eat healthier
- Spend more time with people who care about me
- I’m going to go to my cousin and talk to her because I haven’t talked to her in ages
Worktree plans to develop ‘Wellbeing WorkOut’ further and is currently offering it to students in all secondary school year groups. If you are interested to find out more, contact firstname.lastname@example.org, tel 07962 838685.
The opportunity to understand and explore an industry that one day may become a young person’s future is invaluable – Hannah Towns, Amazon
Hannah Towns is an Operations Intern at Amazon and has only been in her role for 3 months. Hannah approached Worktree a few months ago to discuss getting involved with Worktree events. Read on to find out more about why Hannah wants to get involved. "I came across...
Worktree welcomes Xero, a cloud accounting software business, as the latest local company to join its Virtual Career WorkOut program. Early in March Meredith Cade-Westcombe, a Customer Experience Team Leader (Banking & Security) for Xero since 2015, took part in...
After several months in development, including seven trials with more than a hundred pupils across the full age range in four secondary schools, Worktree launched its new Virtual Career WorkOut sessions to all MK schools at the start of November. By end of term in...