Young Carers enjoy Worktree’s first ever evening Career WorkOut
In Worktree’s first ever delivery of an evening session, 10 young carers aged 16-24 met seven volunteer work guests in a Career WorkOut session at Eaglestone Community Centre.
In feedback afterwards, guests said: “It was a positive experience…it was nice to share work/life experiences and be able to possibly influence the choices of the younger generation” and “I enjoyed listening to their questions…some deep and personal experiences.”
Young carers said: “I have learned that it’s ok to be judged and helping others helps you” and “the first job you have isn’t always the right one for you and every experience teaches you something.”
Analysis of the feedback forms showed that young people outcomes were:
- 18% increase in “I have a good idea of different jobs I could do in the world of work”
- 23% increase in “I know what skills an employer will expect me to have when I start work”
- 9% increase in “I know what job I want in future”.
Guest outcomes were:
- 100% agreed “This has been a good volunteering opportunity”, of which 86% strongly agreed
- 100% agreed “The session facilitator performed well”, of which 86% strongly agreed
- 100% agreed “This is a good way of informing young people about different jobs”, of which 86% strongly agreed
- 100% agreed “Talking to the (young people) made me feel more positive about my work,” of which 71% strongly agreed
- 86% agreed “I am now more likely to volunteer in my community”, of which 57% strongly agreed.
If you would like to be a guest in Career WorkOut, sign up here.
On Thursday 24th November 2022, Worktree celebrated its 30th birthday (see key dates in history) by welcoming 70 business leaders and volunteers from past and present to a special awards evening at MK:U Innovation Hub in Central Milton Keynes. [gallery size="full"...
It’s not unusual for schools to occasionally welcome work guests to inspire their students’ career planning. But in Milton Keynes it’s a habit, thanks to local charity Worktree, now celebrating its 30th birthday. Since 1992, Worktree has delivered a massive 250,000...
Nirasha Ramlugan is an Integrative & Natural Transformational Therapist, Author, Speaker, Health & Wellbeing Quantum Coach. Recently she volunteered with Worktree. “Being an ex-teacher I love connecting with children of all ages, inspiring them to walk each...