Young Carers enjoy Worktree’s first ever evening Career WorkOut
In Worktree’s first ever delivery of an evening session, 10 young carers aged 16-24 met seven volunteer work guests in a Career WorkOut session at Eaglestone Community Centre.
In feedback afterwards, guests said: “It was a positive experience…it was nice to share work/life experiences and be able to possibly influence the choices of the younger generation” and “I enjoyed listening to their questions…some deep and personal experiences.”
Young carers said: “I have learned that it’s ok to be judged and helping others helps you” and “the first job you have isn’t always the right one for you and every experience teaches you something.”
Analysis of the feedback forms showed that young people outcomes were:
- 18% increase in “I have a good idea of different jobs I could do in the world of work”
- 23% increase in “I know what skills an employer will expect me to have when I start work”
- 9% increase in “I know what job I want in future”.
Guest outcomes were:
- 100% agreed “This has been a good volunteering opportunity”, of which 86% strongly agreed
- 100% agreed “The session facilitator performed well”, of which 86% strongly agreed
- 100% agreed “This is a good way of informing young people about different jobs”, of which 86% strongly agreed
- 100% agreed “Talking to the (young people) made me feel more positive about my work,” of which 71% strongly agreed
- 86% agreed “I am now more likely to volunteer in my community”, of which 57% strongly agreed.
If you would like to be a guest in Career WorkOut, sign up here.
Hundreds of Milton Keynes schoolchildren enjoyed their chance to play Worktree’s Find Your Job cards game at theMK Innovates STEM show in Middleton Hall, thecentre:mk. Worktree Chair Alan Bullen and trustees Ayesha Shokar and Rachel Brockway organised and ran the...
The opportunity to understand and explore an industry that one day may become a young person’s future is invaluable – Hannah Towns, Amazon
Hannah Towns is an Operations Intern at Amazon and has only been in her role for 3 months. Hannah approached Worktree a few months ago to discuss getting involved with Worktree events. Read on to find out more about why Hannah wants to get involved. "I came across...
Worktree welcomes Xero, a cloud accounting software business, as the latest local company to join its Virtual Career WorkOut program. Early in March Meredith Cade-Westcombe, a Customer Experience Team Leader (Banking & Security) for Xero since 2015, took part in...